Thursday, May 24, 2007

Au Revoir, Girls!



Alicia and Joy both left this morning and the house is seeming unusually quiet! Friday night the students had a farewell for them. Lianala decorated the cake in the class with Alicia. Last night we had cheese fondue for the big send-off. I nearly caused some heart attacks when I brought out the snails! I thought they needed one more cultural experience before leaving :-) Joy was the only girl to give it a try. Derek had never had them before either but is not eager for seconds! The girls both left their mark and will be greatly missed. Alicia has been part of the family for a year and a half so the room downstairs will probably remain "Alicia's room" for a while. Don't worry about our solitude--we leave in 30 min. to pick up another girl at the airport!

10 comments:

TimBix said...

There's just something about snails covered in a greenish film. Unique.

I remember being on a bus in BDX when the driver hit the brakes and a lady lost her bag of snails. We helped her round them up from the four corners of the bus, and I'm sure that made them only tastier when she ate them for supper.

Anonymous said...

We are excited to see Joy on this side of the pond!! I'm sure Crystal will miss the two of them this next month! We long to give her a BIG hug too! Mom and Dad you need to come home for a "see how much our Grandkids have grown" visit.

Aunt B said...

EEEEEUUUUUU!!!! I think snails should stay where they belong, not on dinner tables! :-)

The cake looks delicious and beautiful!

Anonymous said...

Yuk! That's so GROSS! I was offered snails once and I didn't take them! I'd sure take the cake though! I'll miss them next time I go to Bordeaux!

Anonymous said...

Rachel, I never thought to fix that delicacy for you all!!! Too bad, huh? I must admit, they don't look too good in the pictures. I want you to come back to visit, so I promise--NO SNAILS!

Donna said...

Aw come on you guys, where is your sense of adventure. Even I eat snails!

Anonymous said...

Donna YOU eat snails????? Now this would be a SHOCK!!!

Donna said...

True, very true! (IF they've been well washed and well soaked in garlic butter! YUMMMMMM...........

Anonymous said...

Shall we put her to the test, Jennie?

joydriven said...

It's Friday morning, and I am sitting at the bus terminal in O'Hare --arrived safe and sound-- and am feeling very glad to have already digested that "memory." I sort of agree with Brenda. I liked the oysters, and I didn't die of snail-eating, but I don't care to try snail again anytime soon.
Thank you for the memorable send-off, though! =}