Friday, July 20, 2007

Washington, D.C.: Our trip 1 of 2

Wow! Have we had a fun past few days. Ten days, 5 hotels, and a ton of memories.
I arrived in D.C. on Monday, and the family came out on Tuesday. It was fun to drive to the airport to pick them up, and them bring them back to my "home."
Our first hotel was our nicest, an Embassy Suites by the Washington-Dulles aiport. It was close to the new Air and Space Museum, the second building that now houses all of the "big" stuff. Brenda and the kids went there on Wednesday, while I was teaching. They had fun. There was a space shuttle there, a Concord, etc.
On Thursday, they drove down to Mount Vernon, and basically spent the day there. They had a blast.
I didn't teach on Friday, so we had the day to drive into the city. We spent all that day and Saturday touring. It was a blast. We started at the Capitol, where an intern from our Senator's office gave us a tour of the Senate side. We even got to sit in the assembly, while the other (liberal) freshman senator from MN talked. Pretty funny, as there is obviously a pecking order. She got to speak because there was literally one other senator in there.
A few years ago, while at Rimage, I had trained some guys from the House of Representatives, who promised an inside tour if I ever came. They held their promise, and it was great. We went to a lot of places that most don't go to, I'm sure. It was fun to stand where the President gives his State of the Union address, etc. It took a little more time than we had hoped, but it was fun. We ate lunch in the House cafeteria.
Saturday, was mostly taken touring the monuments and other Smithsonian exhibits, and also the Holocaust Museum. If you ever are in D.C., that is a MUST SEE! Not fun, but very moving and powerful.
It was also moving to read Lincoln's 2nd inaugural address. A powerful treatise on the sovereignty of God, there on display for everyone to read. It felt like we walked ten miles.
Sunday, we went to Capitol Hill Baptist Church. It was a good service, good sermon and music. The only thing we sort of missed, was an organ. I'm not a huge organ person, but that old building begged for a big pipe organ.
That ended our stay and D.C. I'll let the others comment on it, and later I'll add about the rest of our trip.
Posted by Picasa

8 comments:

Donna said...

Wowzers! I wish I had tagged a long. I have always wanted a GOOD tour of DC. Guess I'll have to get you to take me when I finally get around to wanting to go. Post more pics. Looks like it was a once in a lifetime event! Glad to have you back in the blog-world. We missed you!

Donna said...

By the way, the bottom middle pic is C-O-O-L, cool! :-)

Brian said...

What an exciting trip!!! I'm glad you all has such a good time.

Anonymous said...

Dan, Capitol Hill Baptist Church is one of my favorite churches in America and I've never been! Glad you could go... Great post...

Anonymous said...

Looks like you all had a wonderful trip. We are eager to hear more about it. Washington is full of interesting and fun places. I would love to see the holocaust museum. That, of course, is new since we have visited.

Brian said...

Glad you all had a good time. My family and I stayed at the Embassy Suites many years ago when we were in DC. Thanks for posting about your trip. brian

TRBix said...

Sounds like quite the "inside" tour of the House! What a special provision. Truly enjoyed your play-by-play and pics. Looking forward to more.

Donna said...

Where's 2 out of 2???