Thursday, August 09, 2007

Down Under

 
Posted by Picasa


Well, my first time in the Southern Hemisphere. It is impressive to think that there is no country lower than that in which I find myself right now. The flight was long. Real long. 13 hours from LAX. But I had three seats to myself. I think I would have been miserable if I had to stay in one seat the entire time.

Arrived this morning (Thursday, Aug. 9) around 6:45. Silsbees picked me up and we went to the one and only Dunkin' Donuts that they know of in NZ, a special treat for them. After breakfast at McDonald's we went to find Auckland Baptist Temple, a one-time Gospel powerhouse that was pastored by none other than Thomas Spurgeon, the son of C.H. Spurgeon. Scott asked me if I had heard of it, and I had. In fact I have written an article about it that was supposed to go in the "This Day in Baptist History," but was cut for something different. It was really neat to see the place and recall the excellent biography of Thomas Spurgeon that I read three years ago. It was sad, however, to see how liberal it has become.

From there we went to the Auckland Museum. It is a national landmark. I was very impressed. Much of everything to see from New Zealand involvement in the World Wars and the Maori culture and history. It was very interesting to be reminded of the Polynesian culture, the culture that first moved the heart of William Carey toward missions. We could have spent a lot more time there, but I am glad we didn't as I was fading pretty quickly.

I spoke tonight to the precious group of believers that call themselves Good News Baptist Church. There were about 19 or 20 folks there, a good midweek turnout for them. If my brain wasn't too foggy from the jet lag then I think I'm right to hope that I was somewhat coherent and they were graciously receptive.

Scott and Lori have a nice one-level home that is modest and comfortable. I have a room to myself without displacing anyone in the family which is nice.

12 comments:

Donna said...

I'm jealous! Can't wait to see pics of the country side. New Zealand is one place I've always wanted to go!

Anonymous said...

Wow! Bobby, it looks like you got started right away. Too bad that Jennie and the kids aren't there with you, but then imagine the time change problems! Enjoy yourself!

Anonymous said...

Hey. Great. I just looked up Auckland Baptist Tabernacle (not Temple) on the internet and read its history. Obviously Thomas Spurgeon took it from oblivion to greatness and built the present 1500 seat building (1855) patterned in many ways after the Met Tab. in London. Enjoy yourself. Dad

JennieB said...

It's good to see pictures. I can't wait to chat again with you. Take more pix and post them for us. Some with you in them as well.

Anonymous said...

Hey, I would like to see more pictures of Heidi and Daniel. I miss you, Dad.



Corban says hi too, more like a squeal --- he is a happy boy this morning and is back to his monkey ways. We all slept great last night so hopefully Patience and Mommy will be able to keep up with him. ;-)

Aunt B said...

Looks REALLY cool! Thanks for posting!

Jen, we'll be talkin'!

Daniel said...

Bob, hope you have a good time there. Thought about you a lot during the hours I knew you were in the airplane. I feel your pain.

Donna, you're pretty funny. Is there any place that isn't "one of the places you've always wanted to go"?

How does Singapore sound?

TimBix said...

Does the water really twirl the other way in the bath drain in the Southern Hemisphere? Glad you're having fun.

Brian said...

Great pics and commentary, Bob! (especially the one of the Tabernacle) I've been to NZ before, albeit I was only 1 (don't remember it). Hope you continue to have a good time there. brian

Donna said...

India and New Zealand have always been places that have intrigued me. So there!

Anonymous said...

I agree with Patience; let's see the Silsbees.

Daniel said...

Thanks for the update, Bob. I didn't realize NZ was as low as you can go. I would have the thought that the tip of Chile would have been. Nice pictures.