Saturday, March 01, 2008

The Juicy Fruit Gum Man in Heaven Now



Dr. Buck is with Jesus. My memories are different than most. I remember him bringing Juicy Fruit gum to the mks in C.A.R. when I was a small boy. I try to remember things like this because it is the little things that endear the hearts of children to adults. You may be able to buy influence in the heart of an adult thirty years in advance for only a stick of gum.


Dr. Buck was on the wrong side of the home-school argument over 30 years ago, and I am very glad he lost the argument. I'm glad Dad prevailed. But Dr. Buck was always gracious to me whenever I saw him even as late as last year. I was just one of many mks that he cared about.

Juicy Fruit flavor is ephemeral. Influence is eternal. But sometimes it only takes a stick or two of the ephemeral to invest in the eternal.

I need to go buy some candy. I know some kids who will one day be adults.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nice blog,Bob! Dr. Buck was an unusual man and a good president for BMM. I well remember his visits to CAR,too--but I don't think he gave me any gum. And I love Juicy Fruit!

Anonymous said...

I love and respect that man. I look forward to meeting him in Heaven.

Donna said...

I barely remember him, and I certainly don't remember Juicy Fruit--but then, I don't like the stuff! I do, however, always remember hearing his name, and there was always a tone of respect whenever his name came up.

Anonymous said...

Now that surprises me, Donna. I would have thought all 3 of you "big" kids would remember Dr. Buck's visits to CAR!

Donna said...

Well, I remember him a little bit, but not that much.