Friday, September 22, 2006

Our Young Author!

We all know that Aunt Ruth was quoted in the LA Times, but are you aware that we have a published author in our midst? Elise gave her Grandpa a copy of the book Anthology of Poetry by Young Americans while she was here. On page 125 there is a poem called "The Tree"--it goes like this:

Tree

Dear God,

Thank you for my basketball-built body
And feathery wings
Help me to be a place of comfort to a lonely soul
On a cloudy day
A fun playground for children is what I should be
Not a stick in the mud with no worth
Use me wisely, God, if I get chopped in half
When the winter wonderland comes,
Will I look like a bride swaying in the wind?
In summertime, will I hold children sitting in me
But imagining they are on a cloud?
Someday, I know I will also reach the marshmallow puffs
In a Kool-aid sky.

Sincerely,
Tree

P.S. My friends and I are almost always waving to you.

Elise Bixby
Age 10

Our copy is signed by the author--are you all jealous? We are proud grandparents! Posted by Picasa

4 comments:

TRBix said...

May I be among the first of the family to offer my sincere congratulations, Elise! Your words are far more picturesque and beautiful than that silly quote in the LA Times. Keep up the writing. It may be that your pen will carry you a lot farther than your legs can travel.

Love,
Auntie Ruth

Bob Bixby said...

I am very impressed! I didn't know anything about this!

Anonymous said...

Thanks guys....but grandma, I told grandpa when he took that picture, that it would not be posted!!!

Anonymous said...

Thanks guys....but grandma, I told grandpa when he took that picture, that it would not be posted!!!